Insurance is a noble field to work in. Not only is it gratifying in terms of helping people, but also highly rewarding in terms of career progress and financial independence. In today’s date, having health insurance is vital as it safeguards the insured’s financial well-being and deals with risks arising from unexpected circumstances.
With the rising costs of treatment, along with more and more people becoming ill or being afflicted with diseases, it has become increasingly important to have health insurance. By utilising this, insured people can get the best health care possible, making it a must-have.
And with the growing need to purchase health insurance, there has also been an increasing need for health insurance agents. Keep reading to find out who an insurance agent is, their roles and responsibilities, and the eligibility criteria for becoming an insurance agent health.
Who is an insurance agent?
An insurance agent is a specialised insurance agent responsible for helping prospective customers choose the best plan for their needs. They also sometimes create custom, tailor-made plans for the customer and offer sound financial advice. They are responsible for generating new business for the insurance provider they represent.
There are usually two kinds of agents. The first is an independent agent who is free to represent as many insurers as they want, and the second is an exclusive agent who represents only a single insurance provider and is typically a full-time or part-time employee there.
What are the roles and responsibilities of an insurance agent?
The following are some of the roles and responsibilities of an insurance agent.
- An insurance agent is certified by the IRDAI to advise and sell insurance products and services to prospective buyers.
- They must have an in-depth knowledge of the policies they are dealing with.
- They must offer their buyers accurate and responsible financial advice and post-sales customer support.
- Understand the client’s needs and requirements to suggest the appropriate plans.
- An agent also explains the policy document to cover all aspects of the policy purchase journey.
Beyond these roles and responsibilities, an insurance agent health might also offer a customised tailor-made plan. Regarding the claims procedure, an insurance agent will also advise customers about the process.
What are the eligibility criteria for becoming an agent?
Becoming an insurance agent requires no investment, making it an excellent option for people who wish to have a secondary source of income or new job seekers to enter for a stable income.
Becoming an insurance agent in India is simple, and one must fulfill these eligibility criteria.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Pass at least 10th or 12th standard, depending on the location
- Have an Aadhar card and PAN Card
- Complete mandatory practical training
- Pass an exam prescribed by the IRDAI
It is simple for most people to fulfill the above three criteria. One can research and choose a preferred insurance provider for the remaining two criteria. In my case, I decided to become a health insurance agent for Niva Bupa, and these are the steps I followed to do so.
- Visit the Become an Agent webpage.
- Fill the form with the appropriate information
- After submitting the form, I was contacted by the Niva Bupa team
- After that, we completed an orientation and began with practical training
- After making sure that I was ready, I gave the exam
- After getting results and signing a contract with Niva Bupa, I became an agent.
These are the requirements and the steps required to become a health insurance agent in India. By fulfilling the above-stated roles and responsibilities, whether you are a new agent or someone aspiring to become one to be successful.